Monday, November 25, 2013

An Irish Convert

I usually don't post more than once a month let alone more that once in a week, but today I heard a story that I really had to share with everyone who reads my blog. For those of you who don't know already, I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and I am attending Brigham Young University Idaho right now. I can't imagine myself being at any other school right now. I have had amazing experiences here and met some of the most amazing people who have changed my life, even if they do not realize it. 

Anyway, this week we are only in session for two days because of Thanksgiving and some of my classes are cancelled for the one day this week they are supposed to be held. So today I had major issues with having the will power to go to my classes but I eventually convinced myself to go. I am so glad that I did.

 In my Old Testament class we were talking about scripture study and how it can change our whole day and even our lives. I personally have been horrible at reading my scriptures so this lesson was just what I needed to hear, especially all of the comments from my classmates. 

There is a man in my class who immigrated from Ireland when he was a teenager. Throughout the semester he has shared bits and pieces of his conversion story, and every time he shares his story it hits me really hard. Today he told us that when he first received a Book Of Mormon he read it in 2 days (which took me well over a year to read completely). He read it knowing that he would be thrown in jail because of it, but he read it nonetheless. He told us how in prison they took away his scriptures, so he wrote his favorite scriptures verses all over his body so that he could still read a scripture everyday. I sat there in my seat in shock and in admiration at the faith of this man. He risked everything and was thrown in prison for something he believed in. How many of us can say that we would have had the same strength and courage? I honestly don't know if I would have. He also said to us that if we aren't reading the scriptures for ourselves then we should read them for the people who went before us and died for those scriptures, to honor them. I had never thought of scripture study in these terms. We should be so thankful that we have the freedom to read our scriptures and practice our religion, and in my case I am so thankful that I am able to attend a university where it is the foundation of our learning. 

Well I hope this story has helped some of you out there in the internetverse. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday!

P.S. Here's Mumford & Sons singing one of my favorite gospel songs! 

No comments:

Post a Comment