Hello all you beautiful readers! Sorry it has been so long since I've posted anything. I have basically been living in two different states for the last 3 months and I haven't really made the time to blog. So I've really been thinking about what to blog about next, and I have decided to go the more personal route this time.
This last weekend was the LDS General Conference and I really made a goal for myself to watch and really listen to the talks given so I can apply their teachings in my life, this was a pretty big challenge for me because I get distracted really easily. I mean I've never even made it all the way through The Princess Bride!
After I was done watching the 2nd session on Saturday I got to thinking about heroes and people I really look up to in my life and there is such a huge assortment of people and all for different reasons. I strongly believe that people are in your life for a reason, even if it is for just a short amount. From every person I meet I learn something about myself, how I do or don't want to be. Which got we then thinking about an experience I had a while ago.
Two Sundays ago i was in relief society with two other girls i had grown up with, Kaylea and Lindsey. We were having a lesson on progressing and growing spiritually. Sitting in a room filled with older women who were all married and had kids, some even having grand kids we felt a little out of place. So of course the lesson then got thrown in our direction (my luck) when the teacher asked us, "So you three girls, do you think you still have to progress even at the stage of life your at?" The entire room filled with wiser women, most of whom I have looked up to my entire life stared at us with encouraging smiles. It was quite intimidating and so we nervously came to the conclusion that we must always be progressing in life, because if we aren't then we are going backwards. Especially at this stage of life we are at, we need to soak up all the information we can so we can be better wives, and mothers whenever that time comes.
After having that experience I have come to learn a lot more about the person I want to be, mainly because I have been blessed to have all of these amazing examples in my life of the kind of life I was to have and the kind of person I want to be. Heroes, that is the only way I can explain these people I have come to look up to so much and admire their example in my life. Not only in my home ward, but in my family and my friends. Being a good example can shape and change a person's life. One of my favorite quotes is from L. Tom Perry saying, “A good character is something you must make for yourself. It cannot be inherited from parents. It cannot be created by having extraordinary advantages. It isn't a gift of birth, wealth, talent or station. It is the result of your own endeavor. It is the reward that comes from living good principles and manifesting a virtuous and honorable life.”
Well I hope you all have an amazing week! Do great things!
-Amberly
No comments:
Post a Comment